With a ripe pineapple on the counter, it was time to make this tempeh, pineapple, and bell pepper stir-fry. I added some red pearl onions my friend had given me, and they looked marvelous with the yellow pineapple. So I added even more purple by chopping up some red cabbage.
The result looked almost too pretty to eat.
I hadn’t used red pearl onions or cabbage in this tempeh, pineapple, and bell pepper stir-fry recipe before, but I’ll do it again. The onions were halfway between crunchy and soft and looked nice.
Fry the tempeh separately according to the directions in a previous post, or bake or steam it. Skin the red pearl onions. I wrote about how to easily remove the skins from pearl onions previously. Cook a whole grain like rice or quinoa (pictured here) to go under the rice. Prepare the rest of the vegetables for the stir-fry, fry them in a wok, add the cooked tempeh to the wok near the end.
- 1 dry cup of rice or quinoa, cooked
- 1 lb. soy tempeh, fried, baked, or steamed
- 1 cup or 4 oz. red pearl onions, parboiled and skins removed
- 2 tsp.finely minced ginger
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 3 bell peppers, a mixture of yellow, orange, and red
- 1 medium or large pineapple
- ¾ cup chopped red cabbage
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. tamari
- 1 or 2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- Have a whole grain like rice or quinoa ready in a rice cooker, or start it on the stovetop.
- Cook the tempeh- instructions for frying tempeh are in a previous post, or steam or bake the tempeh.
- Boil red pearl onions in water 2-3 minutes, drain, run cool water over the onions, cut off roots, remove skins.
- Mince ginger and garlic.
- Cut bell peppers in half, remove seeds, cut into long strips, chop so each strip is cut into two or three pieces.
- Peel pineapple, cut away from core, cut into bite-sized squares.
- Chop cabbage medium-fine.
- Add oil to wok, or if you have no wok, a big pot, heat on a medium flame.
- Fry the ginger for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, fry for one or two minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes, tamari, and the bell peppers, stir-fry for several minutes.
- Add pineapple and red pearl onions, stir-fry for several more minutes.
- Add cabbage and tempeh.
- Stir-fry until the cabbage softens and turns a darker purple color.
- Taste. Add more tamari or red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.