Walnuts, dried cranberries and dates, and fresh pear and pomegranate stud this pretty red and green salad. With all the fruit and nuts atop its bed of maché and baby spinach it almost qualifies as dessert. The dates make a soft, sweet counterpoint to the crunchy, tart pomegranate arils. This recipe is a riff on Katherine Martinelli’s fruit, nut, and goat cheese salad.
Lately I’ve discovered the soft, mild green maché which mixes well into any salad. Trader Joe’s sells it bagged, which makes it affordable and convenient enough that I sense a maché salad jag coming on. Use whatever greens you have handy: for my salad I mixed maché with baby spinach. Dress it with pomegranate vinaigrette made with fresh pomegranate arils.
This recipe has a lot of ‘topping’ for the amount of greens and is quite filling. If you prefer a lighter hand with the dried fruits and nuts, go ahead, it’s up to you.
- 1 recipe pomegranate vinaigrette (see my previous post)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 8 oz greens such as maché, baby spinach
- ¾ to 1 cup Medjool dates chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped in large pieces
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 pears, cored, sliced into thin wedges
- Prepare pomegranate vinaigrette. See previous post for ingredients and directions.
- You’ll need one jumbo or two average pomegranates to make both the dressing and the salad.
- Cut the pomegranate(s) partway open, rip apart, and remove arils.
- Chop the dates. They will stick together a little, but you can pull them apart when it’s time to dress the salad.
- Chop walnuts into large pieces.
- Wash and dry greens, shred if needed, place into large bowl.
- Add pomegranate dressing, toss.
- Serve dressed greens onto large dinner plates.
- Sprinkle each salad with dates, walnuts, cranberries, pomegranate seeds.
- Core pears and cut into thin wedges.
- Arrange pears in a star on top of each salad.
- Prep time does not include dressing, which takes an additional 15 minutes.
If you try this salad, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I love hearing from my readers!