This month’s assignment for The Salad Bar Monthly Blogging Group is a salad using avocado. So why not avocado dressing? My husband makes avocado dressing without adding any fat other than the avocado itself. I thought I’d jazz up his dressing with some herbs, veggies, lemon juice, and yes, a little olive oil. The flavor turned out really well.
10/3/13 I’ve increased the amount of water in the recipe and updated the photo to show the thinner dressing. I also made a version using Thai basil and a serrano instead of cilantro and a jalapeno. Different but equally good!
- flesh of 1 just-ripened avocado
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup scallion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped jalapeno
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- Combine all ingredients except garlic in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then add garlic and blend briefly. (I find that garlic blended too long, especially in my Vitamix, can develop a bitter taste.)
Can’t wait to see what everyone else made!