Crunchy, colorful and tangy pomegranate seeds enhance all kinds of dishes, so I’ve been happily anticipating The Salad Bar‘s December challenge to make a salad with pomegranate.
A red and green salad seemed just right for this time of year. On the red side, this salad has red greens, pomegranate, and red pear, and for the green, butter lettuce and pumpkin seeds. I couldn’t resist including beautiful wine-red radicchio but it’s quite bitter, so I used the trick of soaking the leaves in ice water to mellow their taste. Fuyu persimmon slices added a bright orange punch and sweet flavor.
I almost couldn’t stop photographing this pretty salad to start eating, though my family is very good at reminding me on that front! Persimmons can be expensive. Costco has packs of them for a good price but if you don’t have a source you could use more pear or a red apple. If you haven’t bought pomegranates lately, you may be pleasantly surprised, they have become more available and cheaper the last few years.
Fit and Fed already has a pomegranate salad dressing recipe, I cut the quantity down a a little for this salad.
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- salt to taste
- 6 oz. regular salad greens, I used a mixture of Bibb and red leaf lettuce
- 1 oz. radicchio, pre-soaked in ice water (optional)
- 2 Fuyu persimmons (about 11 oz) (optional, or use more pear or red apple)
- ½ red pear
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2-3 Tbsp. green pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Presoak radicchio leaves in a bowl of ice water for at least half an hour to greatly reduce their bitterness.
- Meanwhile, seed a large pomegranate, which will provide more than enough seeds for this recipe.
- Make the dressing by combining the pomegranate arils, balsamic, and grapeseed oil in a small, powerful blender or food processor. If your blender cannot efficiently blend such a small quantity you may need to make a double batch.
- Dry and chop radicchio into small pieces.
- Wash, dry, and tear salad greens.
- Slice Fuyu persimmons into thin rounds, quarter the rounds.
- Halve pear, cut half into small, thin slices.
- Put shredded salad greens and chopped radicchio in a large bowl, toss with dressing.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve onto dinner plates.
- Top with sliced persimmon, pear, pomegranates seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!