Done with PT and Testing the Fourteenstep

by Mary on April 19, 2017

Final list of exercises from Valerie

I’ve been holding out on you guys a little bit. I’m done with my post-op PT, I had my last appointment back at the end of March. Valerie used her sweet writing and drawing skills to make me this one last menu of exercises. It will undoubtedly make me sound like a geezer, but I can’t help saying that she must be the last younger person to have such nice handwriting.

I’ve got a really great transition from PT. Valerie just started teaching an off-ice strength and conditioning class at the rink with one session for the kids and one for the adults the next hour. We had just two people the first week, four the second week. Valerie says there’s no point fighting her way home through the infamous Seattle traffic at the end of the kids’ class so she’ll hold the adult class even with a low census. Sounds good and I’m enjoying it so far.

One wrinkle (there’s always a wrinkle, right?) is that my knee pain is a bit flared up with all this hip work and skating. I saw the physiatrist for that yesterday, wondered if he would say what I’ve heard before. He did: it’s patellofemoral pain. He wants me to stretch out my quads and hip flexors and do a bit of PT. It might also be pain from old trauma but there’s nothing to do about that part. I’m so done with PT that for now that I’ll just do some stretches, foam roll, and rest a little.

We talked a little about that “avoid falls” instruction I’d gotten from my surgeon. The physiatrist and I are the same age and have both had various mishaps. We agreed that we get the advice, smile, and keep on doing what we’re doing.

About that rest? I’m testing my Fourteenstep in a week, so the three days I just had off skating may have to do for now. I signed up for the test, on the late side, today, so it doesn’t yet seem all that real yet. I wonder if I will still feel so mellow about it when I realize that it’s really happening. Unlikely.

I’ve been working on the Fourteenstep and Foxtrot for two years now with various breaks for freestyle programs and when I was off the ice. Ty says my Fourteenstep is ready enough if I remember to get good, consistent leg extensions throughout the dance. I hope I can keep my concentration and do what I need to do. I’ll let you know, wish me luck!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Michelle April 19, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Your instinct to skip PT for now and roll/stretch/rest sounds spot-on. And I love your attitude about the “avoid falls” advice.

Good luck with that test! Can’t wait to hear (read) how it goes!
Michelle recently posted..Nice and BoringMy Profile

Mary April 20, 2017 at 12:33 am

Thanks Michelle! Foam rollered and stretched today, massage tomorrow, hope that works. And yes, we have to stay active despite having a bit of caution laid on us. Thanks for the good luck wishes! And P.S. I still can’t get to the comments on IcePact!

George A. April 19, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Mary–Best of luck with the fourteenstep! I’m waffling about testing the Cha Cha in May. Coach and I need to decide by the 2nd of the month. Have you already tested the European Waltz?

Mary April 20, 2017 at 12:24 am

No, I’ve spent hardly any time on it, just a little here and there. For whatever reason Ty has been focusing on the Fourteenstep and the Foxtrot with me instead. I’ve heard the European is easier, so I’m not sure why we’re starting with the other two. But I suppose we will get to it eventually. Thanks for the good luck wishes! The second is still a little time for you to decide whether to test. It can be hard to decide!

Melissa April 19, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Great report, Mary! Best wishes for the fourteenstep test. I will send positive vibes your way. That’s really exciting, and a testament to your hard work and compliance with all these exercises.

Mary April 20, 2017 at 12:33 am

Thanks Melissa, I like knowing that there are positive vibes coming my way!

Jo April 20, 2017 at 2:55 am

Excited to hear that you are progressing nicely in so many ways (including backwards in the 14-step!) Wow, that is quite a set of exercises–I wish I could have that class at the rink! Be sure to report back on the test and good luck!
Jo recently posted..Bone skates, anyone?My Profile

Mary April 20, 2017 at 4:39 am

Nice one about the progressives! I wish you could come to the class at the rink with me! I will definitely report back, thanks for the good luck wishes!

Angie April 22, 2017 at 9:54 am

Knee pain is really no fun esp. if you are into sport. Good Luck with the fourteenstep, Mary.
Angie recently posted..Harissa Asparagus Salad with Baby Beetroot and StrawberryMy Profile

Eva at Eva Bakes April 23, 2017 at 4:24 pm

So happy to hear that you are done with PT! Congrats! Good luck with the fourteenstep. I learned it as a child and it was my favorite dance. You will do great!
Eva at Eva Bakes recently posted..Caramel toffee browniesMy Profile