At the end of summer I stock up on berries and fruit. This is the first year I’ve frozen peaches and apricots, and it’s worked out well to have them on hand. In theory they were going to be for crisps and cobblers, but I’ve used them mostly for smoothies.
For the apricots I took out the pits through the top of the fruit without slicing them. I pitted and sliced the peaches. For both, I sprinkled them with sugar and Vitamin C and froze them in gallon ziplock bags. I read that they should last about three months this way with good quality. That’s about how long it’s been, thanks to our freakishly cold summer that delayed the summer fruit, and my snowstorm smoothie used up the last of them. Until next summer!
Here’s what went into the Vitamix:
- 1 sliced frozen peach (four quarters)
- 1 large handful frozen strawberries
- unsweetened soy milk
- apple cider
- Microwave frozen peaches and strawberries in the microwave to soften them slightly (about 40 seconds in my microwave)
- Add fruit to high-powered blender.
- Add equal parts soy milk and apple cider (I didn't measure, but just enough to blend fruit)
- Blend, starting at a low speed and gradually increasing power.
- If you are using a Vitamix, push fruit down with pusher to aid mixing. With other blenders, stop the blender and stir fruit a few times to redistribute it into the blades.
- Blend until completely smooth.