Sweet banana and tart frozen mango balance perfectly in this banana mango smoothie. Three ingredients: frozen mango chunks, one medium-ripe banana, and unsweetened almond or soy milk. Trader Joe’s carries two kinds of frozen mangoes, both relatively inexpensive: mango halves and mango chunks. The halves are a little better, brighter orange and more sweet. But the chunks blend up really easily: they’re what I used today.
I have smoothies all year. This is a good one for after I’ve used up all the fruit I froze in summer.
- 1 medium banana (6 oz.)
- 1½ cups frozen mango chunks or halves
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- Peel banana, put in blender with frozen mango chunks and almond or soy milk.
- I like my smoothies very cold, so I don’t thaw or microwave the frozen mango chunks. But you can if you want, it will be easier to blend.
- Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed.
- If you have a Vitamix, use a pusher to mix the ingredients.
- Otherwise stop the blender a few times to mix the ingredients as necessary.
- Serve immediately cold.
- Yield: about 1¾ cups smoothie (depending on how frozen it is).