Inspired by a kale waldorf salad with honey yogurt dressing that I picked up from Trader Joe’s, I made this dressing from 2% Greek yogurt, a fair amount of Dijon mustard, fresh basil, minced shallot, and a few other things. I used more honey, salt, and mustard than I usually do.
I made this yogurt dressing with all Greek yogurt and no mayonnaise, that makes it much lower fat and higher protein. If you’d like the dressing a little runnier, add a tablespoon or two of water. It is a little odd to use Greek yogurt, which is yogurt that has had some of the water strained out, and then add water back in the end. Ah well. If you run the experiment of making this with regular yogurt, let me know how it turns out.
I’ve also made a non-dairy version of this with coconut milk yogurt or almond-based yogurt. Soft silken tofu would be another possibility for the base. I hope you enjoy this! If you try it, let me know in the comments how you liked it.
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. finely minced shallot
- 1½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. champagne vinegar or vinegar of choice
- ⅛ tsp. celery seed
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- (optional 1 or 2 Tbsp water to make a thinner dressing)
- I like to warm the honey briefly (the microwave works) so it will mix in more easily.
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- I usually have fresh basil so it’s no trouble for me to add such a small quantity. If I did not have fresh basil I would omit it rather than use dried basil.
- You may prefer less or more honey, salt and mustard.