I promised more quick dinners from the pantry, and here’s a Southwest Beans and Corn recipe that my husband makes regularly. It’s vegan, healthy, and liked by the teens and adults. We try to keep a three-pack of organic bell peppers from Trader Joe’s on hand. With frozen corn and two cans of black beans, dinner’s on.
If you make a big pot of beans next weekend from my flavorful beans from scratch recipe, bonus points. They’ll help you get several meals on the table during the week.
This recipe is moderately spicy. If you prefer extra spicy, add another tablespoon of cumin.
- 3 or 4 sweet bell peppers, one each of several colors looks nice
- ½ fresh jalapeno pepper
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup natural type store-bought salsa
- A few sprigs of cilantro if you have some on hand
- Cut peppers in half, remove seeds, cut into thin strips and chop each strip into small squares.
- Cut jalapeno in half, remove seeds, mince.
- Put canned beans in a strainer and rinse with cool water.
- Combine produce, beans, frozen corn, spices, salt, and salsa in a large microwaveable glass bowl.
- Microwave on high until hot: about 9 minutes in our microwave.
- Garnish with cilantro (optional).