Be forewarned: this is really good stuff. Perfect for dipping with cut raw vegetables or sweet potato fries or spread on a sandwich or veggie burger. And easy: throw it in the blender and be done.
Can I still call it aoli when it’s tofu-based? There’s tofu mayonnaise, so I say yes. If you prefer a traditional mayonnaise-based recipe, try The Saucy Southerner’s recipe. I couldn’t face pouring that much oil into the Vitamix, so I used soft silken-style tofu instead. Which worked great. Trust me, you’ll never know the tofu is there.
Soft silken-style tofu is the best kind for dips, smoothies, and sauces. Sometimes I buy it fresh, but the shelf-stable kind like Mori-nu is also good and lasts for months, so I don’t have to worry about accidentally wasting it if I don’t use silken tofu for a few weeks.
This is extremely low calorie compared to a mayonnaise-based dip. One tablespoon of mayonnaise has about 100 calories. One tablespoon of this dip has about 6 calories. I’ve included nutritional information below so you can have a look.
- 5 oz. soft silken-style tofu
- 1 large roasted red pepper (from a jar) about 3 oz.
- 1 drop hot sauce (more to taste)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- pinch of salt
- a grind of pepper
- Cut the tofu from a block of soft silken tofu (from either a refrigerated or shelf-stable package). Drain/slightly squeeze the tofu to remove any excess water.
- Drain/dry off the packing liquid from the red pepper.
- Juice ½ lemon to get the 2 tsp. lemon juice.
- Combine the first five ingredients in the blender (I use a Vitamix), starting at a low speed and increasing to a high speed until smooth.
- Add garlic and blend at a medium speed until the garlic is incorporated into the aoli. I find that garlic blended at a high speed in the Vitamix makes for too strong of a garlic flavor, so I blend it at a lower speed for a shorter time.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a container. It will firm up slightly as air bubbles escape, but it will still have a very soft texture.
- Yield: slightly less than a cup.
Approximate nutritional information for 2 Tbs:
Calories: 12 cals, Fat 0.6 g., Sat. Fat 0.0 g., Cholesterol 0.0 mg., Protein 1.0 g., Sodium 38.6 mg, Carbohydrate 0.7 g., Fiber 0.0 g., Sugar 0.0 g., Calcium 5.7 mg.