5/31/13 update: This product has been linked to Hepatitis A cases in California and Colorado. The FDA is investigating and Costco has removed the product from its shelves, though a formal recall has not been issued.
4/22/14 update: The replacement product (no pomegranate) is Townsend Farms Triple Berry Blend. For a Costco frozen berry product with pomegranate, there is now Sunrise Farms Organic Oxidant Blend.
I’ve been working on a good smoothie that uses pomegranate. In my experiments so far I haven’t liked the texture that pomegranate juice gives smoothies, so I realized I’d have to use whole pomegranate arils. But I’m too impatient first thing in the morning to seed a pomegranate for my breakfast smoothie, and too cheap to buy the fresh arils already prepared.
So I was thrilled to find this organic frozen blend from Northwest-based Townsend Farms with pomegranate, dark sweet cherries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. It’s from Costco, and it’s $9.99 for a three-pound bag. Considering that organic cherries and pomegranates are both expensive ingredients, it’s a good price.
Pomegranates, cherries, and raspberries are all pretty tart, but I don’t like to add sugar to a smoothie. Bananas would add sweetness, but I didn’t want to add their strong flavor. I also wanted to keep the dark purple color of the berry/pomegranate blend.
So I added strawberries and a little bit of watermelon. That gives the smoothie just enough sweetness without changing the color or the flavor too much.
Let me know how you like it!
- ⅔ cup strawberries
- 1 cup Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy or other milk
- ½ cup fresh cubed watermelon
- Add first three ingredients to blender, blend.
- The pomegranate arils are fibrous and so are the seeds of the raspberries, so you will need to blend the smoothie at your blender's highest speed. Begin at a low speed but gradually increase the speed up to the highest setting.
- Taste. You may like it this way (on the tangy side) or you may want additional sweetness. In which case add the watermelon and blend again.