These potato enchiladas verde were a favorite of my boys while they were growing up. The recipe is fairly quick to the table, kid-friendly, and has simple, inexpensive ingredients. It’s not photogenic or gourmet but it has been a crowd-pleaser. I’ve written up the vegetarian version below, but you can make it vegan by leaving out the sour cream and cheese. Here’s a photo of the vegan version:
Since I was feeding five big eaters I used to make a large quantity, one 9 x 13 pan and one small square pan, using 12 or more tortillas and a little more of the potatoes and everything else. I’ve cut down the recipe below to make just one 9 x 13 pan.
There are ways to upgrade this recipe. You can use a good, fresh Mexican farmer’s cheese: if you are in the Northwest, I like Don Froylan Queso Fresco (no business relationship). You can make homemade salsa verde from tomatillos, definitely better than the store version. But for years, I never did any of that. I used salsa verde from the cupboard, potatoes from the fridge, and whatever cheese I had on hand, usually a block of Monterey Jack or mild cheddar. Despite the lack of fuss, my kids loved it, and the ones who are on their own still enjoy having it for dinner when they come home. Now they will have the recipe so they can make it themselves.
- 1# organic yellow potatoes, boiled
- 9 small, thick corn tortillas such as Trader Joe's handmade corn tortillas
- 1 cup organic sour cream
- 7 oz. shredded queso ranchero (or Monterey Jack or cheddar)
- about 12 oz. of canned salsa verde (1 can of Trader Joe's salsa verde) or homemade salsa verde
- Scrub potatoes, add to large pot with water.
- Bring water to boil, then simmer potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Drain, cool, chop potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place steamer in a pot above few inches of water, heat water to a low boil. Steam tortillas one or two at a time in the steamer for a minute or less to make them moist and pliable. I do this while I'm putting together the enchiladas, getting a new tortilla or two ready while I use the one I just steamed.
- Spread a little salsa verde into bottom of 9x13" baking pan.
- Put some sour cream, potato, and cheese into each tortilla, roll tortilla, place seam side down in baking pan.
- Cover top of enchiladas with salsa verde.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until enchiladas seem like the right level of moistness, neither too wet nor dried out.