It’s been interesting this year to see vegetarian Thanksgiving menus become completely mainstream. The New York Times has lots of vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes online and had a vegan mushroom gravy recipe in its food section last week. The Seattle Times had an entire article about vegetarian gravy. I put my vegetarian gravy on Fit and Fed just last year and at the time I didn’t know anyone else who made it.
Stuffed squash recipes for Thanksgiving also abound. Some cook a big squash or pumpkin to make a centerpiece food item like a turkey. I’ve never tried that, but it sounds a whole sight better than tofurkey!
For this recipe I combined sweet potatoes with maple candied pecans and unsweetened cranberries. I like the balance between the sweet candied pecans and the tart cranberries, with an overall sweetness from the sweet potatoes. I can’t imagine adding a whole lot of sugar (or marshmallows ) to a sweet potato dish, to my palate they are naturally very sweet already.
For tomorrow I’m making my maple roasted brussels sprouts, rosemary bread stuffing with chestnuts, mashed potatoes, vegetarian gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I have two of my sons home and we will have some new friends over.
Given that I’m mainly cooking tonight, not blogging, I’ll keep it simple and share this recipe. I use my own maple candied pecans.
- 3# sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup maple candied pecans (from my recipe elsewhere on this site)
- ⅓ cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into smallish cubes (an inch or less).
- Place sweet potatoes in two 9 by 13 baking pans.
- Add olive oil and mix together.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, stirring and checking the sweet potatoes at 30 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil, bake covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cook the cranberries in a small pot in a little water, or steam them, for about five minutes.
- Combine the roasted sweet potatoes with the pecans and cranberries. Serve
- Prep time does not include making the maple candied pecans.