Serve this Asian-style carrot and cabbage slaw as a garnish, dish out a big salad bowl of it, or top it with tofu or another protein. The dressing has no sugar yet it’s a little sweet from the grated carrots. The lime juice, sesame oil, tamari, ginger and rice vinegar add plenty of flavor.
I didn’t marinate the extra-firm tofu shown in the photo below, though you can certainly check out my marinated tofu recipe if you are planning ahead. This time I just splashed some tamari on the tofu and stir-fried it in a little olive and sesame oil. It was good!
- 5 c. chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 c. chopped red cabbage
- 2 c. grated carrots
- scant ¼ cup minced scallion
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced as finely as possible
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar, natural or unseasoned (no sugar)
- 1 Tbs. wheat-free tamari
- juice of 1 lime (scant 2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. black sesame seeds
- Combine chopped cabbages, grated carrots, and minced scallion and ginger in a large bowl.
- Season with the remaining ingredients. Black sesame seeds look dramatic but use whatever kind you have on hand.
- Makes three large portions. To turn this into a meal top with a protein source such as seasoned stir-fried cubes of tofu.